[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toploads that bite

Nick Field wrote:

> That surprises me, assuming a 10kV supply your peak current
through each resistor is more than 100A - not for very long but at
that current level it doesn't have to be.
- The energy stored in my MMC is less than 7 Joule = Ws. I've
choosen high power resistors in series with the cap safety gap
mainly because of their capability to dump that large current. They
don't get warm at all.

> As for the oscillations - that is what the tank circuit is there for.
- The tank circuit is designed for a specific frequency and I don't
know what will happen if there was a flashover starting oscillations
at an other frequency (C = MMC and L = coil instead of series
resistor).

 > > > I personally advocate discharge resistors (note I said
'discharge' not equalising') across all the caps
> > - Every single cap of the MMC has got its 10 MOhm bleeder of
> > course. 10 MOhm is much to high to act as an equalizing resistor.
> I didn't mean across each cap of the mmc, I meant across all standalone
> capacitors - In the mmc case that would mean across the whole lot.
- Using only one bleeding resistor per string or per MMC doesn't
guarantee that all of the caps are discharged in case of blown
capacitors. Therefore it's much safer to use a bleeder resistor
across each single cap.

Safe coiling to you!

Regards 		Herwig