[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: de-tarring question

Hi Ed,

Snipperzz..

> Has anyone tried using a hot air gun?  More controllable than a hot
> plate, I would think.  Have a couple of pretty potent ones here (get
> things hot enough to soft solder), but haven't tried them on a
> transformer.......

I donīt think this will work on normal NSTs. It might work on OBITs
tho. A hot air gun just doesnīt have the grunt to heat a huge piece
of iron & tar combo. In other words itīs thermal transfer efficiency
isnīt too hot (sorry for the pun). HAGs are also great for bending
and shaping thermoplastics.

To avoid those *looks* from your spouse, mother, etc, I would
suggest using a special oven. The only thing *special* about
this *special oven* is that the oven is yours ;o)) and kept in the
shop. I got mine from the dumpster and use it for a number of
things (like rock hardening painted objects, baking ceramic coats,
pre-warming parts,etc). It keeps peace and quiet in the household
and you are not limited in itīs usage time ;o))

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard