[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big Time Coil Problems...

<< Original Poster: "Ryan Ries" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>

> Man, I'm really mad now.  Our coil is not working at all (again?!).  Our
> power source is 150v going into 15Kv/90ma transformer to make 18Kv.  We are
> using a 6" secondary wound with 22 gauge wire.  (Albeit short winding, it
> should at least be doing something!)    Our caps are mica transmitting caps
> in series to make .00325µf at 20Kv.  I believe this is where we are going
> wrong.  We can get no output at all from the coil no matter what.   Do we
> just need a better capacitor system to fix the whole thing?  I know the
> capacitance is really low, but I was hoping it would at least do something.
>  It seems like after that last secondary blew up, everything just went to
> heck...  Ugh, I hope this gets better soon...
>           Thanks,
>                Ryan

Ryan,

You're putting too much voltage into the NST, so you may have
destroyed it.  Are you sure the coil is tuned now with the new secondary?
If your new sec has lower inductance, you'll need more primary windings
perhaps with such a small cap.  Also, if you set your gaps wide, this
may have helped to destroy the NST.  Did you verify that the NST is
still good?

Cheers,
John Freau