[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 240 volts for my NST?

Hi Jon, Scott,

My comments interspersed.

> Original Poster: "Bunnykiller" <bigfoo39-at-idt-dot-net>
> >
> > Original Poster: "Jon Lagler" <rockcrawl-at-netzero-dot-net>
> > Hello All,
> >     I have a 12kv 30mA NST that I am considering depotting to
>>increase the output current. While discussing it with a friend, he
>> said why not put 240 volts to the primary instead of 120. That
>> should increase the output to 24kv which I'm sure my 60kvdc
>> MMC could handle. Will this work, or will I fry the NST?
> > Thanks,
> > Jon
>
> Hi Jon...
> bad idea...    the secondary windings are "engineered" to handle just
> the proper amount of voltage   first off  ..  the primary would
> overheat  secondly the secondary windings ( if the primary survived)
> would breakdown insulation wise and then it would be zap city inside
> the tranny....

Actually it is the amount of magnetizing current that a certain core
size can handle.

> depotting and removing SOME of the shunts would be a better bet be
> careful with the output leads from the tranny...  they are thin wires
> that break easily.

Uuh, I think this comment is bound to lead to some confusion.
Removing shunts does NOT increase the output voltage. It will
increase the current capability (and thus VA and ultimately the
output spark length of the TC), but it canīt, wonīt, doesnīt have
to, increase the output VOLTAGE of the sign (or any other) xformer.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard