[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A tall thin piggy, or a short squat piggy?

Yes and no.

The ballasting system needs to be able to handle the current you plan to put
into the pig. You could build a system capable of providing 30A and any of
the pigs mentioned would be happy. However, you wouldn't use the
capabilities of the bigger pig (to get into the higher kva's you would need
to supply much more current).

When one starts talking 10kva or more the whole system from the wall to the
pig needs to be considered. Let's say you want to provide 20kva. Start at
the wall. You will need a 100A 240v plug and outlet. These can cost lots of
$$$'s. You will need BIG line filters. You will need to gang three or four
variacs together for voltage control. You will need a few more ganged
together for current control. And on and on...

Big power controllers can get very costly in a hurry.

I'd stick with the 10kva unit. It can be easily pushed to 20kva (with lots
of $'s in the controller)...

Regards,
Brian B.