[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NST and GFI ?

GFCI can be "trippy" in the right(or wrong)
circumstances. I know from experience they hate dimmers
with large inductors. Long cable runs are also a problem.
I think the problems with TC's are similar. The
explanations given have been correct and even though
there seems no imbalence the breaker sees it different.
The qoute below is from Roscoe Entertainment technology.
Seems that proper filters would help alot.

[Ground Fault Document.doc:7/15/96]

Special Problems of Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters

A run of AC conductors will generate “capacitive
coupling” which will
appear to the GFCI as an imbalance and, if the run is
long enough, “trip”
the device. This problem is complicated by the harmonic
currents
generated in a “phase controlled”(TC FEEDBACK?) circuit.
The combination of harmonic
currents and capacitive coupling will confuse the GFCI
with relatively short
conductor runs.