[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Reducing Inductance In Caps And ?, Was RE: Reducing Self Resonance In Rolled Caps

Hi Bill,
> Original Poster: "William Parn" <parn-at-fgm-dot-com>

<snip>
> I had read that rolled caps self resonate, because they are a cap
> and a coil all at the same time.  However now I understand they must
> have really meant that rolled caps have higher inductance.  There
> by slowing the charging and discharging time, that makes sense.
>
> Now the question is if the inductance slows the charging and
> discharging, would not that change the overall freq in the primary?

By an amount commensurate with the ratio of cap inductance to
primary inductance (first order approximation). Could be significant
with a low inductance primary.

> For TC use is it better to use extended foil design or the non
> extended foil design in rolled caps?

Extended foil.

> Does this inductance change the overall capacitance?

No

> Does it change the number of turns needed on the primary?

It could. It doesn't matter though. Long tank wiring also affects total
inductance in the primary circuit.

Regards,
Malcolm