[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 'Glow' discharge

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Sarah Thompson" <sarah-at-telergy-dot-com>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list. I've not yet built a TC, so I'll refrain from asking
> lame questions until such time as I'm half way through it and can't get it
> working. :)

<snip>

> One experiment I want to do is related to MHD power generation. I'd like to
> be able to ionise the air moving along a non-conductive pipe, whilst also
> causing a hefty current to flow across it (through the gas). The electrodes
> need to be longitudinal with respect to the pipe, and maybe 1 - 2" apart and
> parallel. If the theory works, it should be possible to blow gas through the
> pipe and extract power from a coil wound around the pipe. I suspect that a
> neon transformer on its own might be enough, but I'm willing to accept
> advice on this.
>
> Sarah Thompson

Hi Sarah,

 I built a laser almost 15 years ago using almost exactly the model your
describing here - but without the external coil. For power we used twin
automotive ignition coils in addition to a 5 or 10 stage voltage multiplier,
interrupted with a normal v8 car distributor. The result was a very heavy
continous arc across two heavy metal plates approx. 15 inches long and
about .75
inches apart mounted in a rectangular clear plastic 'tube' with two tap ponits
for gas entry and exit. used to provide an interesting UV lase output. Was very
cheap, easy to make and for it's size quite powerful.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Robin in OZ.

rcopini-at-merlin-dot-net.au