[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What wattage resistors for NST protection?

Terry Fritz wrote:

> Those NST filter resistors can see the full voltage on that leg.
Perhaps 11000 volts peak!  However, the insulation is still adequate.

Terry,

In each HV leg I've used 4 Dale resistors 55W/1kOhm (because
they were on hand) connected to be 220W/1kOhm. These resistors
have got an oval shape and an aluminum cooling sheet inside
which is used for mounting as well.
On powering up the setup for the first time I faced heavy arcing
from the resistor's winding to the aluminum sheet. I dismantled the
resistors and cut out 10mm of the sheet in the middle, hoping that
there is no arcing *inside* of the resistors now. Therefore high
power resistors with aluminum cases are not a good choice for this
application as well.

Regards		Herwig