[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pole Transformers

There is a company that sells used pole transformers
http://www.surplusrecord-dot-com/

I have this link on my web page at http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~gweaver

I tried to buy a pole transformer and made several phone calls to the power
company.  They refused to sell me one.  I work across the street from the
power company maintenance department where they keep about 500 or so
transformers outside in a parking lot area.  I walked into the maintenance
building and ask them about buying a transformer and they said, "which one
do you want?"  I told them I wanted a single phase about 14,400. volts 10KW.
The price for a new one is $250.00.  Then they ask me why I wanted it and I
told them it was for a science project.  We talked and they all seemed to
think it was really strange that I wanted to make 10 foot long sparks.  Then
they started joking and said, don't bring that thing around here we see all
the sparks we want every day.

If you want a pole transformer check out http://www.surplusrecord-dot-com/ and
find one for sale that is not too far away to drive and pick it up.  You can
get it shipped by truck but that just runs up the cost.

Try doing what I did and go to the power company maintenance building and
ask for the shop forman or head engineer.  Tell him you want to buy a pole
transformer.

Gary Weaver