[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pig ballasting

Hi Chris,

> I have now heard about resistive ballasting, inductive ballasting,
> and both at the same time. Ok, all, lets hear it....which is best,
>and which is the most convenient? I would think it is inductive
>ballasting, since nothing is (hopefully) :) getting hot, and a tub
>full of water for the heating elements is, how shall we say,
>prone to spill.....  Thanks for any advice in the matter.

Quick answer: Go for both. :-(#)

An inductor is great for ballasting, because you donīt have a
(large) voltage drop across it. However, an inductor can follow
the (changing) current flow very fast. This results in erratic
operation. You can actually hear (feel) your pig and the inductor
jumping around wildly as your gap fires and stops conducting. A
little series resistance dampens this, because a resistor reacts
much slower to current changes. This helps to smooth operation
quite a bit.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard