[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pig ballasting

> Original Poster: CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what's the "best" or "convenient", but I use a 30A variac in
series
with a 2.5 ohm resistor.

The variac is just another means of "control". I bring up my line voltage then
bring up the variac current ballast keeping the current lower than my breaker
circuit. I have found there is usually a ballast point the coil "enjoys". The
resistor was a 10 ohm (about 20" x 3" - BIG). I cut it in half then paralleled
for 2.5 ohms. I've noticed the coil just runs "smooth" with the added
resistance. For me, it made a difference. All in all, this is a very easy set
up. One thing about a current ballast variac - it can heat up at high power
runs
or long duration runs.

Of course, if you have a welder just sitting there, the "convenience" is
obvious.

Bart