[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Secondary design help

I'm building my first "big" coil, and would like to make it as good as
possible without making too many mistakes.

So far, my design consists of a 1.8kVA input (dual 15/60 NSTs) with an
LTR-style MMC (56nF).  My primary is .50" copper tube spaced .50."  I'm
working on a SRSG at 120 BPS.  I'd like to use a 6.27" OD, 6.07" ID x ~30"
PVC secondary with 22AWG wire.

The only areas that I'm still trying to investigate are the secondary
design and the topload.  First, I've read that PVC doesn't make a very good
form due to its high RF losses.  Secondly, I'm concerned that 22 AWG is too
small, and that I should use 20 or 18 AWG.  Finally, I'm also concerned
that the topload is too small ("Top loads can NEVER be too big").  I've
thrown a 6"x 24" toroid into WinTesla, with a capacitance of 32pF.  I've
seen on one Web page that the recommended toroid size for a 6" coil is
8"x40" (60pF) (in conjunction with an anit-corona ring, which I may add
after I get it built and working well).

So, my questions are:
    1:  Will I gain much by using a PE (or similar) form over a PVC form?
    2:  Is 22AWG wire OK on a 6" coil running at 1.8kVA?
    3:  Is my topload of 6x24" too small for my coil?  (I DO intent to make
a couple, but I'd like an idea of where to shoot for)

Thanks.

Mark