[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: G10

Hi Dr. B

  G-10 is a grade of glass epoxy laminate of which there are several
different compositions.  Fiberglass material and epoxy resin sandwiched
under pressure form this grade which has excellent electrical &
mechanical properties.  G-11 is a high temp. version of G-10, where G-9
and lower have weaker properties.  Different laminates use different
resins which are of the thermoset family, and are resistant to heat.

  Another laminate I use a lot is cotton canvas phenolic.  These are
usually a darker brown color than epoxy laminates.  There are paper &
material based phenolics of which the better grades are L, LE, C, CE &
CF.  Paper phenolic might be on the weak side for rotary gap design, but
the cloth versions seem to work fine.

  I use a local plastic dealer (Regal Plastics) and ask if there are any
scraps of what I need.  This is cheaper than having them cut a section
from a new sheet. Sometime they just let me roam their shop (depending
who I talk to) and look at the scraps.

Hope this helps.

Kevin E.

  .>
>Hi all
>
>I have been trying to find out what the English equivalent name for
>G10 is.
>Nobody in the composites group here has heard of it.  Could someone
>please
>post a description and specification.  All I have gathered so far is
>that it
>is a phenolic composite.  Can anyone confirm/deny this?  What is the
>reinforcement? What are it's mechanical properties?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dr B
>
>Dr Brian H Le Page
>Composites Research Group
>School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
>University of Surrey
>Guildford
>GU2 5XH
>Tel +44 (0)1483 300800 ext 2439