[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Pole Pig TC in Germany??

Hi Jim, all,

> Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>

[snip]

> But why not buy a distribution transformer in Germany?
>ABB and Siemens both manufacture them in largish
>quantities. Or are the regulatory issues so complex that
>it is easier to buy a used one in the USA and have it
>shipped? Or even in England, and you could drive it
>home yourself?

Hehehe. Bad joke ;o)) Single phase pigs are almost
non existent over here, because all households are
fed with 3 phase. The smallest 3 phase pig I could find
was a 50kVA unit. Needless to say, I passed it up, because
there was no hope of transporting, storing or easily using
such a monster. In the rural *fart*, where I live (1200 people),
3x 650kVA (21kV to 380V) 3-phase units (distributed all
throughout our town) deliver the power to all households.
A 650kVA unit would deliver some assume sparks, tho ;o))

There are (VERY) a few 6kV single phase, one horned,
units floating around, but they are about as rare as henīs
teeth and 6kV is on the low side. Most of these units are
PTīs, which have a 100V LV side. Other PTīs used to
measure the 21kV line are of low power (50-100W) only,
so they are no good for TC useage. They are built like a
rock and I bet you could get 800W-1kVA from them for
short periods of time, but I can get that kind of power
from a NST, so its not really worth the trouble (other
that they have a high BIL)

Regulatory issues can be a problem, but if you talk enough,
you usually can bend the rules and get a HV xformer, but
you just CAN`T find any. Arrgh. Germany is not that free
in such matters. Finding surplus equipment (you name it,
I mean it) is a real pain, too. Almost non existent. Surplus
stores are a rarity. Military surplus is just that: military.
Almost no chance to get this stuff except for a few Russian
exceptions (tubes, etc) maybe. Pigs just donīt fly low
enough to get ;o)) at, which is why I treasure my open
framed NSTs, which can deliver a hunk of current. I plan
on running 4 in parallel for my 6kVA setup, which they
should easily deliver.

You wouldnīt believe what a pain it is to fly D powered
model rockets. Not to mention E thru H power ;o((,
which is my interest. Laws, paperwork, more laws,
more paperwork... ad nausum.... uuugh. The EU is
NOT what you would imagine it SHOULD be.

For the above reasons I have tried most everything (large
OBIT arrays, MOTS, etc, etc) before finally settling on
the 7.5kV NSTs. The max allowable voltage above ground
(for NSTs) was changed in 1963 from +/-8kV to +/- 4kV
above ground (sucks). However, Teslaīs creation runs
on low voltage, too ;o)). I even was crazy enough ask
what a custom built xformer would cost. 12kV and 1A
(BIL of 50kV) would have set me back around $1700
(yeah thatīs $$ not DM), which let me back off quickly.

Similar goes for my asking AEG for a pulse cap. 100nF
-at-30kVac would have set me back a small fortune (~
$2500, GASP!!), which is another reason, why I am
glad, that I discovered MMC caps ;oo)). In Germany,
we have a saying "Not macht erfinderisch", which simply
means: "Canīt find what you are looking for? Go and
build it!!"

Of course, I have open arms for a nice pig, if one ever
floats in my vicinity. I am also still looking for some pulse
caps for exploding wire experiments. 15-20kV and a few
ĩF (80-100+ ĩF would be great ;o)) Compensation caps,
used in the States for utility lines are non existent, here
(tried that already). This is probably due to the fact that
3 phase power somewhat self compensates and they
arenīt necessary.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard