[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Scot's spark gap in progress

Hi Scot, All,
I have been playing around with the layout for the measurements. I am using a
piece of
0.25-inch acrylic with the paper covering in place to do the layout before I
risk screwing-up the G-10. As I previously posted, I view the accuracy
requirement for the parallel ditches as being so critical that I may well
give the milling job to a machine shop.

The locations for the 8-32 screws can be easily spotted and drilled. Drilling
just a small hole neatly locates the centerline for the ditch. Now I have a
question: why do we need the ditch? I drilled several 8-32 holes and screwed
two of the copper cylinders
down onto the acrylic. The cylinders hold solid to the acrylic and adjusting
the parallelism
is a cinch. So why go to the trouble of milling that ditch into the G-10?

My Scot Gap will have nine 1.5-inch diam Cu sweat couplings, Five pieces on
the lower panel, and four pieces mounted to the top panel. From my trial by
error experiments,
I am now getting the idea that using parallel groves (ditches) to lock the
coils into parallel
alignment may be just a bit too elegant. Why not just hold the cylinders
tightly to the
G-10 using the 8-32 screws and use shims or whatever to adjust the
parallelism?

Help, please.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman