[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: CGA Monitor Flyback ???

Greets,

Moved up to 10" streamers.  Was a lot of 6" streamers with
a 9kv-at-30ma, and a few 6-8" streamers with car coil setup.

> >So now I am curious, Do you think this flyback is going
> >through a diode turning it into DC.  The bang rate was
> >very steady, but it definately did not sound like it
> >was doing 120bps, it sounded a lot slower than that.
> >Also do these types of flybacks beat at 60 hertz or do
> >they put out a higher freq?  I hear a lot of cool sounds
> >when I start powering up the variac.
> >
> Yes - it will be running in DC mode. The reactance of the TC cap would
> be too low for it to run at the typical 15+KHz frequency of a flyback
> output

Ah yeah that makes sense.  I would need a really small cap to get it
to charge at that freq if it were AC.

> If you are grossly overloading the flyback (probably!), there may be a
> 60 or 120Hz mains component in the output, and there may also be a low
> frequency component caused by overcurrent protection in the monitor's
> PSU
> >Does anybody have a guestimate on the voltage and
> >amperage on these devices?
> Depoends on screen size - 15-25KV is typical, but output current will
> be very low.

Wow, I better be careful.  That is probably way to much for
my homemade flat plate alum, LDPE cap.  I only have ten layers
of 6mil for a total of 60mil between plates.  It sounds like
this CGA monitor could easily pop it.  Way to much work to kill
it this soon.

Many Thanks,
Bill Parn