[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FIRST LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! optimizing a TC

Hi John,
             Curious.....

> Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> << >
>  > What can we do to make this better? 8" is great, but not exactly what
we're
>  > looking for here (5' would be nice) :)
>  >
>  > ideas? >>
>
> Christopher,
>
> Well with some better caps, MMC's for instance of about 0.015uF or
> so, and a nice 120 bps sync rotary gap, you may get 40" to 44".
> That's what I got anyway using a 15/30 NST.  I have a new theory
> though that the 15/30's are rather prone to failure, so I usually use
> 12/30 NST's.

Why do you think that is?  My latest thinking on the subject (about a
year old) is that it should be better if the gap is set to, say, 15kV as
you then have an extra margin of safety up your sleeve. It seems to
have worked for me so far but then I haven't had the guts to do an
acid test of this theory.

Regards,
Malcolm