[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: THOR PROJECT STATUS UPDATE

Hi.

Primary cap value was 0.05 uF. We had no time to read the voltage because the
failure came in a couple of seconds (sure, we had a HV probe and scope
connected). But my tank was set on 10 kV (digital voltmeter reading) for sure
and I am very confident that was the case.

I tell you also that the tank can charge that cap 1000 times/sec to 10 kV
(actually it takes 800 us), and my RSG was rotating at a little bit more than
300 bangs/sec. So, whatever was the gap firing voltage, the tank had plenty of
time to ramp up to 10 kV between bangs. This is just the situation I wanted to
create: independance from gap setting, repeatibility.

Regards

P.S. Transformer autopsy revealed that the mortal shot was a discharge between
winding and ferrite core (also some part of the ferrite were scalpeled away by
the spark!). We'll wind it again.

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 23.02.2000 15:47:40