[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My Second Light :-)

> Original Poster: "Neal Whitaker" <NDWhitaker-at-Worldnet.att-dot-net>

Hi Neal,

> New questions
> 1) Should there be a big difference between the doorknob cab bank and
> the MMC cap bank.  (I am betting yes on this one)
> 2) Why the h*ll is my secondary getting so warm!!! Like 100 to 110
> degrees (garage is around 70 degrees)
> 3) Can someone tell me why the safety gap quit firing when the spark gap
> was placed in parellel with it.

1) Maybe - haven't used an MMC - but cap's can make a difference.

2) Interesting. I never noticed my secondary getting warm after a run (and
yes I felt for warnth). Obviously, you have current flowing through the
secondary enough to warm your secondary (my secondary is pretty big - 12.5"
x 43.5" and maybe why I haven't noticed this).

3) The gap should always be parallel to the supply. When the gap fires, the
primary LC oscillation can cause huge transients. The gap in parallel to the
supply prevents the capacitors full swing from being sent back to the
supply. The supply only sees the IR drop of the gap. When the cap is
parallel to the supply, the supply gets whalloped by the full swing RF
voltage and causes damage to the transformer (eventually by breaking down
the supply secondary). I would guess it was these transients firing.

Bart