[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Biggg coil in Oklahoma

Ed, all

  Friday night I did full range testing of the controller feeding a 10
kVA, 14 kV pig loaded with a Jacobs ladder.  The results were quite
satisfying.   At maximum resistance (0.85 ohm actual measured) and max.
inductive ballasting,current input to the pig was 2 amp. Did not note the
actual voltage as it fluctuated with arc length.   This gave about a 3"
arc when drawn across the pig bushings with a hot stick.   At full output
(no added resistance or inductance) the pig pulled 150 amp with an
intimidating arc of fire!   Interestingly, the shop lamps dimmed only
slightly during the full output test.   The new service entrance paid
off.   Lamps used to dim quite noticeably at only 60 amps with a Tesla
Coil operating.

  I'll keep the list updated as progress goes along.

Coiling in Oklahoma

Kevin E.

>Kevin,
>
>Sounds like a heck of a project.  Should be some good sparks from that
>
>set-up.  With no variac and max 13 mh and one half ohm for ballast, I
>would
>think your minimum current will be quite high for initial tuning.  I
>would
>suggest powering the transformer up as a jacobs ladder and measure the
>
>primary current with different set ups.  Careful here, that much
>current will
>tend to melt .50" dia copper tubing (used as a jacobs ladder)
>quickly.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.