[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grounding question...

Hi Doc R, all,

> Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>The short term "peak" current is relatively high.  This high current
>in a few microsecond time span means the current has a high freq
>value which requires a larger ground than normal.  A ground with
>some resistance will cause this peak current to become an
>electromagnetic wave, ie, radiation which is not desireable.  It
>steals from coil performance.  Also, if the ground doesn't look
>solid to the signal it will not see the bottom of the coil at zero
>potential and could begin presenting phase shift problems.

Correct. Actually your are looking at about 10-15A peak per
kVA input power. Make that a 10kVA pig powered coil and
your grounding system see peak pulses of around 100-150A.
Any resistance in the ground path is not only going to kill coil
performance, but, depending on wire length, might even
become another safety risk. Plus, I think, the interference that
you will create that way will drive electronic equipment (and
your neighbors) crazy.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard