[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: THOR PROJECT STATUS UPDATE

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 28.02.2000 07:35:27

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  Re: THOR PROJECT STATUS UPDATE

Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>

>Hi Marco,
>                Thanks for the data.....

>> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Primary cap value was 0.05 uF. We had no time to read the voltage
because the
>> failure came in a couple of seconds (sure, we had a HV probe and scope
>> connected). But my tank was set on 10 kV (digital voltmeter reading) for
sure
>> and I am very confident that was the case.
>>
>> I tell you also that the tank can charge that cap 1000 times/sec to 10 kV
>> (actually it takes 800 us), and my RSG was rotating at a little bit more
than
>> 300 bangs/sec. So, whatever was the gap firing voltage, the tank had
plenty of
>> time to ramp up to 10 kV between bangs. This is just the situation I
wanted to
>> create: independance from gap setting, repeatibility.
<snip>

>So we're talking about 750W actual primary power roughly? Would
>you ind giving the secondary coil stats please?  This is getting
>interesting.

>Regards,
>Malcolm

The rest of the coil (primary,secondary, toroid, RSG, etc.) is my old coil you
can find at http://www.saunalahti.fi/dncmrc/technical.html, that is:

Primary
7 turns of 3/16" copper tube, inner diameter 5.3", turn spacing 0.3". Flat
pancake. Inductance 13 µH. Clearance from inner turn to secondary 0.5".

Primary capacitor
0.05µF 50kV. A series of two surplus Maxwell capacitors model 30561 0.1µF 25kV

Secondary
4.33" diameter gray PVC pipe, 19.7" wind with AWG 26 enamel wire, 7 layers of
epoxy paint. Secondary first turn 1.5" higher than primary pancake. Inductance
29 mH, self capacitance 8.3 pF, resistance 56 ohm.

Toroid
15.7" outer diameter, about 17 pF mounted 1.6" over the secondary top.

 RF filter
550 pF 40kV capacitors (2) from tank terminals to ground and 3 mH toroid
inductors (2) in series with the tank terminals. Capacitor and inductors are
both home-made.

Regards