[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: capacitor

And so it begins...

>C = 8.85e-12 x 7.8 x 0.5 / 0.004 === 8.63e-10 Farads or 0.86nF or 860 pF.
>Not a very large capacitance.  You usually need about 10, 15, or more plates
>like this for a TC.  The puncture voltage is 34000 volts so your fine there.
> How about a nice MMC!!
>
>BTW - Hopefully, this will be one thing we can all agree on...  However, it
>is always fun when someone asks a question like this to see all the
>different answers "we geniuses" come up with! :-)))
>
>The equation is from Steve Bell's web site at
>"http://www.breakfix.demon.co.uk/tesla_cap1.html" and the constant is from
>Mike Hammer's site at "http://www.monmouth-dot-com/~grimcorona/capacito.htm".
>Hopefully, I can blame THEM if the above is wrong :-))))
>
>Cheers,
>
>	Terry

Of course, "I" am the first one to mess up. :-|,

I dropped a zero somewhere when I calculated the capacitance...

It is 8.63nF .

I used a Y2K certified HP calculator too, so I can't blame it on that....

I just saw the Jim Lux used a K of 4 and interpreted "0,5 m^2" as being
0.25 meters squared instead of my taking it as 0.5 meters squared so his
answer was 2.2nF...

I knew this would happen...  These tough questions always kill us... ;-))

Terry