[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

epoxy/adhesive/SG woes

Hi, thanks to everyone who responded re: my RQ style SG and the problem
with the copper pipe segments.  I dug up another set of epoxy and gave
it a go.  I'm going to let it cure an extra day just to be sure but it
looks like it's holding like you'd expect it to.  The true test will be
when I put it in use with my coil though......

While I'm thinking about SG's, I have a couple questions perhaps someone
could answer.

>From my own obvservations it appears that most of SG heating is due to
the electrical arc through the air, not the actual current being
'switched' through the conductor.  Is this true?  If so, has anyone
tried a SRSG using brushes like motors have to completely eliminate air
arcing?

The other thing about SG's that I don't understand is the general
theory.  Does quenching refer solely to the desire to remove
heat/ionized air to be sure that the breakdown voltage of the gap(s)
remains relatively constant or does it refer to more than that?  I also
don't understand how increasing the BPS of a SRSG increases stress on
system components.

-Stan