[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: safety gaps

Hi Herwig,

> Original Poster: "Herwig Roscher" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>
> I've learnt to distinguish:
> 1. A kickback from the tank circuit will blow out the safety gaps.
> 2. A short with e.g. a screwdriver (well insulated of course!) will
> result in permanent arcing.
> ok?

No, double vision, eh, I mean confusion....

1.) A kickback will (hopefully) trigger the safety gap. If your SG
is set so that it will trigger right at the full (or only slightly
greater than) NST voltage, your SG will continue to fire until
you reduce the voltage (variac) or turn off the power. If it is set
on the wide side (not so good), it *might* (although doubtfull,
unless set VERY wide) stop firing after the kickback has
decayed. My SG IS on the wide side, but when it fires, it
continues to do so until I lower the input voltage quite a bit. Of
course, this is normal, because the resistance decreases a lot,
once the gap is triggered.

2.) Shorting what?, is the question. If you short out the primary,
your SG will have nothing to do, because your NST and caps
are shorted out too (no or little voltage). Shorting out one side
of a 3 piece SG might let the other part of the SG fire, due to
the unequal loading of the NST. BUT, I sure wouldn´t want to
be the person holding that screwdriver ;o))

Coiler greets from Germany (back to Germany ;o}),
Reinhard