[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MMC and other questions

Hello everyone

I am still reading and thinking about the desgin and pieces of my  future
coil, so here are some questions:

First, It might be interesting to note that I have a 16 KV transformer,
and that  I will need to limit the current (at least for now) to 130 ma, in
order to keep that old good 10 A fuse alive on the 220V side.

A matched capacitance for this setup (50 Hz) would be around 25 nf, and I
found some 220nf 1250VDC capacitors (those little blue things, with metal
film, self healing I think they are made by Simmens) I was thinking about a
MMC setup with two strings of 20 caps, for a total capacitance of 22nf and
a voltage rating of 25 KV, would that be suitable for my transformer
(regarding the voltage rating) and with a air forced static gap? If this
works, it would really be easy to add more capacitance when I will be able
to draw more current out of the wallplug; I will only need to add mor
strings of caps.

As you understood, I hope to get my parents to change the 10 A fuse for a
20 A or even a 30 A fuse, and I would like to design my primary and
secondary large enough for that. I thought about a 8 inch secondary, but I
don't know if that would be way too big for my starting power (2KW). Should
I make it smaller?

I found an old vacuum cleaner that I could use with my gap. I can use it
either as a vacuum or as an air blower. For the gap efficiency, what should
I choose. I first thought it would be better to blow the air, so no ions
woulg go inside the motor of the cleaner, but I think most people make a
vaccum by taking the air out of the gap. Any advices?

Thank you in advance.

Even if I am a little late, I wish you an happy new year

Samuel