[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Poly-Lok polyester resin transformer...

Okay--Here are my findings regarding this Transco Poly-Lok transformer
with Vanguard GFP:

It's best to use a hammer and screwdriver to cut down the corners of the
NST case
and remove the tan-colored resin block.  If you're careful, you can
actually slice
away the case around the HV insulators and keep them for use in your new case.

Let the case-less transformer soak in pure acetone for one or two days.
The polyester
resin will absorb the acetone and turn from a concrete hardness to a
spongy, slightly
swoolen rubbery texture.  You can use a hammer and large screwdriver to
chisel away
good size chunks of the resin now.  When you've chiseled away to where the
acetone hasn't
soaked yet and the resin becomes hard again, just soak it for anther day.

The next day, you should be able to remove the resin right down to the
surface of the secondaries
and expose mose of the core.  One cool thing about this resin is that it
comes off very cleanly and
gives a shiny-new looking core.  At this point, exercise extreme caution!
The resin has soaked
deep into the secondaries and MUST be softened before you attempt to finish
picking it off the core.
If you're not careful, you'll pull a chunk of resin out that chip off part
of your secondary!  Not good.

Also, be careful of the primary windings.  The acetone won't completely
dissolve the enamel, but it will
weaken it and a nick with a screwdriver will easily take off some enamel.
Once the acetone dries up, the
enamel seems to return to its normal strength.

Let me reiterate this point:  Make sure the polyester resin is soft before
attempting to chip it away from
the core between the primary and secondaries, as well as anywhere near the
secondaries.  One little slip
and they're destroyed =-(

Now, my NST had been plugged into a 277 circuit and the primary windings
were blown.  I noticed immediately
that the melted winding on the primary was one of the last turns -- one
right in front of me that could
easily be repaired.  Good luck for me!

As for the GFP:  It is easily removed.  Just two boards, one on either side
of the NST.  The acetone will
likely destroy these things anyway.

Regards,
Rick