[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: grounding

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: ross andrews <sflourine-at-home-dot-com>
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         I'm in the process of finishing up my first coil, and I have come to
> the RF ground part.  I had intended to use a copper grounding rod, but
> Mom doesn't like the idea of a copper strap detracting from her flower
> garden, so Dad suggested I use the cold water line coming into the
> house.  What has me confused is that some coilers on the 'net do indeed
> use a water pipe as a ground, yet some directions I downloaded say
> specifically "DON'T USE A COLD WATER LINE".  What gives?
>
>         Thanks!
>
>         Ross

Ross,

It depends upon your plumbing system and the power level you're running.
Assuming you're tied to a metallic city water hookup, and you're running
a low to medium power system, tieing your RF ground to the incoming
watermain should be fine. The concern is with newer houses, where
portions of your plumbing system may be electrically isolated by
sections of high pressure plastic pipe.

BTW, you could bury the copper strap that runs between so that it
doesn't show (and in the process actually improve your grounding setup).

Safe grounding to you, Ross!

-- Bert --