[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC for Electrolysis?

In a message dated 1/8/2000 6:20:59 AM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Hi Mike,
>  Yes, I was thinking of electrolysis of water to get H2 & O2 gases.  Do you
>  think a TC can do this?  Maybe with just one wire from a bipolar coil?
>  Thanks - Mike

Either end of a bipolar TC will still be putting out AC currect at radio
frequencies.  If you are wanting to collect the gases for other purposes, you
DO NOT want AC.  That would give you the mixture of gases at both
electrodes(which could recombine in a most unpleasant way).  I would go with
DC current.  You only need about 1.2 volts to decompose water(oxygen
potention - hydrogen potential is zero volts).  Actually you will probably
need a bit  more voltage to compensate for inefficiencies, but you get the
idea.  Just get a step down transformer and full wave rectifier or even
better, just use a car battery, if all you want is the gases.
Mike