Re: Thin wire for secondaries, was form material

In a message dated 7/13/00 9:48:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  << Another important secret
>   for obtaining long sparks is to use more than the usual amount of
>   secondary turns (by using thinner wire). >>
>
>  Hi John,
>  I have some #35 DSE, more than enuff to wind a 40 inch x 3.5 diam
secondary
>  for my next bipolar. Is that too thin?
>
>  Happy day,
>  Ralph Zekelman

Ralph,

My guess is that it's a little too thin, esp for that large of a TC.  The
resistance might start to be high enough so that it begins to matter.
I wouldn't use thinner than #30awg, but I really don't have much
experience with wire that's thinner than #28awg.  I'm not familiar
with the DSE designation, I assume it's a type of magnet wire?

I seem to remember that I tried some #34awg magnet wire one time,
and it seemed a little lossy but worked basically OK, so it's possible
that you may be able to use the #35 wire.  I should look it up in my
notes.  I think I posted my results on this list a couple years ago
under the title, "results with thin wire secondaries" or something similar.
It would be an interesting experiment.

Cheers,
John Freau