RE: Form Material Info!!!

Hi Dan,

On 15 Jul 00, at 10:41, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dan Kunkel" <dankunkel-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Gary,
>
> why then do so many coilers "prep" their pvc forms by drying them with an
> oven and coating them with poly? is this considered an outdated procedure?
> are you saying all secondary form materials are the same in terms of
> performance?

They aren't - but most that you can think of are fine. Let me
recount a personal experience with the good and the ugly.
     My best secondary (to date but that will soon change) is
wound on unsealed thickwall PVC drainpipe. I can detect a 6%
difference in its unloaded Q between damp and dry days.
     At the other end of the scale I once built a secondary on
a piece of sonotube with the tar paper removed. Nothing wrong
with the wiregauge and it had a smaller aspect ratio as well
as being spacewound. Unfortunately it was not sealed to an
acceptable standard and its Q came in well under 100. I
concluded that significant conductivity was not a good idea.

Regards,
Malcolm