Re: Magnifer Systems

In a message dated 7/17/00 4:26:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Jeffery Pederson" <kd4lyh-at-webtv-dot-net>
>
>  Hello,
>  In a Magnifer System is it best to at least try and get the primary tune
>  near the extra coils natural1/4 wave resonance. I assume primary tune
>  means the combination of the primary coil and primary tank capacitor
>  tuned to the extra coils natural 1/4 wave resonance. Correct me if Im
>  wrong but this tuning process would be with some kind of topload on the
>  extra coil.
>  Best Regards Jeff

Jeff,

The primary tank of a magnifier tunes to a combo of the extra coil and
the secondary.  In other words, the extra coil and secondary act as
sort of one coil together in a sense (although the L will be less than
one big combined coil because the two coils are separate).
Bottom line is that the the primary tank must be tuned to a lower
frequency than the 1/4 wave resonant freq of the extra coil.  Yes,
the topload would be in place while you tune the coil by tapping
along the primary as in any normal TC.  A magnifier is basically
the same as a normal TC in most aspects.

Cheers,
John Freau