Re: G-10 vs.Polycarbonate

In a message dated 7/18/00 8:10:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com
>
>  Hi all,
>
>  This may seem like a dumb question, but I was wondering which plas-
>  tic is the supreme choice for SG and RSG insulative supports and
>  discs? I've heard a lot about the superb heat & impact resistant and ins.
>  properties of G-10 material, but I don't have any personal experiebce w/
>  G-10 myself. However, I do know that G-10 is quite pricey. On the
>  other hand, I do have some experience w/ lexan and it is a little cheaper
>  than G-10. The manufacturer's label on sheet lexan says that it is heat
>  resistant to temps. up to 800 degrees Farhenheit. And I don't think you
>  could find a more impact resistant plastic than lexan (polycarbonate).
>  This stuff is as tuff as nails and it's easy to machine. I just thought I
>  would get some opinions from some of you coilers who have had expe-
>  rience with both of these materials.
>
>  Good Coiling,
>  David

David,

The G-10 is the material of choice for professional and amateur
coil builders.  I often use Lexan because it's cheaper and very strong.
I didn't realize it could withstand so much heat, but my spinning
electrodes run cool anyway, so it's not an issue.

Cheers,
John Freau