RE: A new tuning idea? its a current xfmr !

Steve,
What you describe is a Current Transformer and a good choice
    (and provides some instrument isolation protection)

The TC's Sec current is being sensed in the single turn and
transformed by ratio and Burden, i.e. the value of resistor
on the higher turns 'monitor' side of the xfmr to develop

a current proportional to the turns ratio (if properly designed).

In order to work (proper design) a HV current xfmr sensor must:
  have close coupling, as in use a toroidal core but also high voltage
isolation between Pri/Sec
  exhibit low core loss at the frequencies of interest:
     resonant frequency for Secondary viewing (to ~300KHz decreasing for
larger Sec's)
     but it would be nice if it was good at the Spark Discharge frequencies
(to ~5MHz)
     note: higher frequency cores are likely smaller w/finer particles &
maybe exotic ferrite's
  NOT saturate the core (become non-linear)
     most often achieved by cutting a gap in the core
         (else current observed will not relate proportionally)
  Any amplifier must be linear over range of use, have adequate frequency
response and not saturate
     Viewing very brief pulse of current is demanding on design of sensor,
amplifier characteristics etc

A current xfmr is used to instrument Pri, Sec & Arc currents in my single
shot DCTC
   oscilloscope picts at http://www.cowmail-dot-net/dalehalldctc/
   implemented via Tektronix commercial oscilloscope probe and amplifier.

Regards, Dale