Re: Tesla Coil Computer Programs

In a message dated 7/21/2000 5:23:14 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Ross,
>
>  I agree.  Whenever I run a set of calculations on someone's coil, I just
> save
>  it under their name and can go back to it in the future.  I find the
>  spreadsheet program very useful for finding out where to tune someone's
>  primary by playing some what if type calculations.  I enter the secondary
> and
>  toroid information.  Then the primary info and check the required
capacitor
>  value.  Then I go back to the primary calculations and slowly decrease or
>  increase the number of turns, watching the calculated capacitor value
until
>  it gets close to the capacitor value that they are actually using.  Works
> for
>  both of my coils.
>
>  Ed Sonderman

Hi Ed,
  I too have used your spreadsheet and then went and made my own.   I used
the same basic equations yours does except that I plotted out the Medhurst
table from yours and then used the trend function to create a formula for the
self capacitance rather than a lookup table(my own "adjustment" to your fine
spreadsheet).  I did use yours to make sure mine worked right.
   The real point, however, is that I had an idea that might save you a
little effort if you are doing many designs for people.    If you have a cell
where the primary cap is entered(based on matching the transformer etc.) and
you have a cell that calculates the primary cap based on the primary turns
inductance,  why not set one cell to equal the ratio of them and use the goal
seek function to force the ratio to be one by changing the primary turns
cell?  It would save you the iterative approach once you have set it up.
  Just a thought for you,
Mike