Re: why? chilled spark gap tips gives more spark?

James, all,

I couldn't state it any better than John Freau did. I've often noticed
with some of my poorly designed spark gaps that often the output
spark would start out looking good but after 20 or 30 seconds of
continuous operation, the spark would start to get smaller and smal-
ler. As the temp. of the spark gap electrode surfaces heated up, the
air gap between them would also start to heat up and therefore remain
in a heightened state of ionization and fail to properly quench between
the discharge cycles. As John said, the spark gap must have enough
surface area to properly dissapate the heat generated and forced air
helps to further increase this heat sinking action.

Good coiling,
David Rieben