Re: Touching/Sitting on your coil

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Megavolt121-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi all,
>   I once was there being the guy that wanted to touch a tesla coil and
> drawn an arc, or have arcs come off my hands while i sat on my coil. Of
> course this all changed when i realized that there are more factors than i
> imagined involved in touching/sitting on a tesla coil. The most common one
> is, what if i slip and ground myself ? Of course, after working with some
> professionals and witnessing this stunt beingdone and the safety
> precautions required, i have decieded that touching the coil isn't a good
> idea. But this decision was made only after i saw them setting up the coil
> for this stunt and realized that there were many factors i wasn't taking
> into consideration.(Don't ask what they are, cause i won't tell). Moral of
> the story is, Don't do it. There are many things you aren't thinking about
> that will kill you. If you really think life sucks, don't kill yourself w/
> the coil since that will only leave the rest of the coilers in the world
> with a bad rep.
> -Safe coiling in Los Angeles
> Alan

	Whether or not you get killed, if you take a spark from any
reasonably-powered coil you are going to get a nasty burn where it
strikes you.  Same as with any other RF circuit - radio transmitter for
example.  Only a few watts can do a lot.

	Second point which I know many have reported is that, even if you hold
a metal object in your hand (rod, screwdriver, thimbles on fingers,
etc.) and gring it closer to the coil until sparks start, you will get
an unpleasant and unexpected shock.  Move a bit closer until real
streamers develop and you won't.  Rectification ?

Ed