RE: Voltage determination

Dick -

Refer to my post of yesterday "JHCTES - Primary Capacitor". The reasons are
given as to why changing the primary capacitor in the program will not
change the output spark length unless additional input information is shown.
Note that a capacitor is an electrical storage device. It cannot create "new
energy" to increase the TC output spark length unless other parameters
change.

One of the entries for the "new energy" in the JHCTES program is represented
by the power transformer input current. When this current is changed in the
program inputs the output spark length will change. When the primary
capacitor is changed and the input current changes then the new current will
have to be shown in the JHCTES current input. The new spark length will then
be shown in the outputs. There are other TC parameters that will also change
the output spark length.

The accuracy of empirical equations is dependent on the type of data
available. Also the empirical equation's limitations vary with the range of
data available. You will have to select the proper primary capacitor to
enter in the program inputs. Your selection should be within the proper
range. To help in this selection I show a graph in my Tesla Coil Design
Manual. This graph provides the recommended range of capacitors for various
size Tesla coils.

The primary capacitor shown for the JHCTES Ver 3.1 default example will work
for the NST shown. However, other capacitors can be used and the program
will do all the calculations for you to keep the TC system in tune. If you
use a resonant charge capacitor don't forget to enter the increase in NST
current that will result. This current would normally be 120 to 160 ma. The
new spark length will then be shown by the computer. Be aware that this
current will overload the NST and could destroy the NST.

Note that the JHCTES Ver 3.1 program is for classical Tesla coils only. I
understand that you are interested in a pulsed type spark device and not a
Tesla coil. The capacitor of a pulsed type spark device is used differently
compared to when used in a Tesla coil.

John Couture