Re: Strike Rail Yes? No?

Hi Finn,

	That's the kind of experiment I like!!  High risk, but you get your answer!

	Although I hate to generalize to every coil setup, strike rails on coils
with safety gaps and MMCs, should not be needed.  The safety gap at:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/NSTFilt.jpg

is designed to handle direct strike faults.  I did a lot of fault analysis
and it is very hard to blow MMC caps with direct arcs.  Although, I did not
hit it center strings :-))  The NST will need some protection in some cases
since the main gap may have opened leaving the windings to take the hit
which they may not like.  Although arcs have high voltage, they have very
limited energy.

Cheers,

	Terry