Re: Strike Rail Yes? No?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-accucomm-dot-net>
>
> Fellow Coilers,
>
> What's the latest wisdom on strike rails?  Are they needed or not?  I'm
> asking because I have just begun work on my all new 6" x 30" Tesla coil,
> and I'm trying to decide if I need a strike rail or not.  I remember some
> postings awhile back suggesting that strike rails were old hat and no
> longer required.  This will be a "generic" coil of conventional design for
> use with various power supplies ranging from 1600VA of NSTs on up to 4 or
> 5KVA of pole xfmer input.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Greg Hunter
> www.angelfire-dot-com/ga3/tesla

Hi Greg....

I personally like the "security" of a strike rail. with the advent of wider
shorter coils becoming the present trend and the increase of the possibility
of a strike from the toriod to the "primary" system has increased.
Why take a chance blowing your trannie or cap due to that stray streamer
trying to find a ground thru your primary system???

Scot D