Re: sizes of the coil

space between primary windings=the diameter of the conductor
Project Sam uses .25" copper tube with .25 interturn spacing

space between primary and secondary
Varies with the coil. For Sam, a 6" coil, we used 1.75" with great success.

ratio between primary and secondary
That is an exact calculation, not a generality.

ratio of the secondary in with and length
For disruptive coils, usually about 3.5:1 to 5:1 with 4:1 being the most
common. Sam is 6X24" though we have made offsize secondaries for
experimental use at 6X39" and other sizes. Tube coils tend to be much more
candlesticked.

size of tank cap with secondary/primary size
This too is an exact calc, though we have found there is a lot of room to
tinker here.

turoid size to secondary size
Can vary wildly, but limited by tuning ability. Sam will run everything from
a 3X14" toroid to a 4X34" toroid and every sixed salad bowl (stainless, they
work great) in between. As a rule, the larger the toplead, the larger the
sparks. Though a large rough-surfaced topload will not work as goos as a
smaller perfectly smooth topload. Surface bumps create discharge points.

These are just rough generalisations based on our work on the Sam project
and tinkering. Once you have a working design, there is GREAT room for
variation. Tesla Coils are very tolerant of changes as long as you're
willing to spend ore time tuning.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group