Re: tesla coil hight? and Need 30 mil poly!

In a message dated 7/28/2000 9:46:19 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Alex,
    If I were designing this coil, I would go for a 6 by 30 secondary with 21
to 22 g wire.   21g would give you about 990 turns(depending on the
insulation thickness) and 22g would give you about 1110 turns.  This seems to
be the range of turns that most coilers use with good results.  Either choice
would work pretty well.  I would guess that 22g is easier to find.  I only
picked 21g as an example because I have most of a 50lb roll of it and it was
already on a spreadsheet for one design I did a while back.
    Next issue is the cap.  The most popular way to go these days is to use
the series/parallel bank of polypropylene caps lovingly termed the MMC(or
EMMC if you get fancy with it).   If you are dead set to build your own cap,
I would suggest getting the poly from McMaster Carr(www.mcmaster-carr-dot-com).
I ordered a 4ft by 8 ft sheet and a roll of aluminum roofing flashing that
made for a nice cap.  An even better notion might be to write to the list
owner, Chip and see if he has some of these materials left.  He just posted a
letter to the list advertising some of these materials for sale.   Now that
that is said, I took the liberty of choosing a cap value that would probably
work fairly well(always some debate as the best choice in this).  This value
is .015uF.  I chose this to be more than the impedance match in order to
reduce(eliminate?) the tendency of creating a resonant condition with your
NST secondary that could kill it quickly.  You could go up a lot higher( up
to about 4 times the impedance match), but this seems like a reasonable
starting point,.  If using 22g wire, you would want a primary of
approximately 13 turns and your resonant frequency with a 6 by 22 topload
would be about 140 kHz.   21g would raise that to almost 160kHz and your
tuning of the primary would be something close to 11.7 turns(assuming 2 inch
clearance to the secondary and 1/4 inch spacing jof 1/4 inch copper refrig
tubing).
      I made the above calcs based on an actual 6 inch diameter form.  If you
use regular pvc pipe, the only real difference would be the resonant
frequency being lower and that you would need to increase the primary turns
accordingly.  The 13 turns would be more like 14 in that case.  I would make
the primary with a few extra turns, just for good measure.
Hope all this helps a bit,
Mike