Spark-Gap Voltages

Hi Terry, All,

Terry, thanks for posting the Spark-Gap Voltages. I copied this quite a
while back, but you reminded me of the Spark-Gap table.

Assuming Vp of 20kv at the gap is a typical voltage for us. According to
the table, for a 2.5cm sphere (~ 1 inch) the gap voltage is .58cm (~.23
inch). A needle point at 20kV is 1.75cm (~.69 inch). This table seems to
reflect static gaps well, but does a rotary gap apply?

I typically run a .008 inch gap (total). Since a rotary gap is aligned only
during specified breaks (bps), it shouldn't matter what the gap spacing is,
as long as it is set close enough to arc and far enough apart to not come
in contact electrodes. It appears to me that changing the gap will only set
when it fires as the electrodes align.

Does anyone disagree with this? (or agree),

Thanks,
Bart