Re: Novel primary designs

On 28 Jul 00, at 16:24, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Andreas Marshall" <marand-at-t-online.de>
>

> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "acmnovak" <acmnovak-at-email.msn-dot-com>

<snip>

> > Has anyone experimented with litz wire primaries? That would give higher
> > inductance with lower turns at high frequencies given the skin depth of TC
> > tank circuits...
> > The only problem is, you wouldn't be able to select the best tap because
> > you would have to make contact with all strands of the wire, thus shorting
> > out the other part of the primary which takes away inductance and creates
> > eddy currents. You'd have to know how many turns you need before you even
> > build the coil...
> > Litz wire may be succesfully employed in the tank circuit wiring, as it
> > allows a wire to carry more current for it's diameter.
> >

> Litz wire is not the best material because of its capacitance between the
> conductors. In some old Book i read that about ca. 1 to 10MHz
> flat conductor plates can be better.

Any conductor self capacitance in the primary is totally
swamped by the primary capacitor. Besides that, the strands
are connected in parallel so what does that do to strand-
strand capacitance? I've also heard that it isn't the best
above a MHz or so. I've never seen a convincing reason why but
I expect it would have been measured?

Regards,
malcolm