Re: duh

In a message dated 6/6/00 7:32:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I just wanted to know if it was possible to make a
>
>  coil that could be swapped to either a Maggie or a 2coil system easily,
like

>  by simply removing the 3rd coil and replaceing it with a topload.
>

>  Christopher A. Boden Geek#1

Christopher,

The problem is that a maggy secondary should have relatively
low inductance and be a short coil to give the tight pri-sec
coupling.  The low inductance will result in greater gap losses,
and the short secondary will tend to arc over once it's asked to
handle the full output voltage in the two coil mode.  You'd have
to raise the secondary a lot to reduce the coupling when it's
in the two coil mode also.  You'd probably have to run at
greatly reduced power and efficiency when in the two coil mode.

You could however simply place the extra coil directly on top of
the secondary.... and it would work well.  Just a slight tuning
change would be needed.

Cheers,
John Freau