Re: Big top loads

Hi Alan, Malcolm, all,

about the similar idea came to me, when I had a look at the
capacitance-formula for a toroid in a TC-design spreadsheet,
seeing it was dominated by the main diameter, and the cord
diameter beeing of only minor influence. It is not quite clear to
me however, how you keep the outer curviture high enough in the
z-direction (coil axis) if you are using a disk. Think I don't
understand your construction well enough. I'm quite interested in
your design, because for my bigger hobby-coil "Black & White"
(15.75"dia./70"length) I'm in need for a big topload as well. The
process of building this coil can be seen at:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/index.htm , under the heading
"equipment".

In fact, my toroid of diameter 63"(1.6m) x cord diam.15.75"(0.4m)
is already in the make, and will be at me this week. It is made
by a workshop (Iraklis Galanis, Basel), where they make
insulations, for heating systems, chemical plant tubes etc.. The
toroid is made, according to my specifications, and at a very
reasonable price (SFr.400 = ca.  $235 ), including the design. I
have already good experience with this kind of toroids, which
kind can be seen at:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/tc8inch.htm

In some cases this might be an alternative to the flat-disk
toploads you have in mind, and Malcolm has in use ?

Kurt