From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 9:41 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: async RSG question

Original Poster: Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com

Hi all,

I have a question concerning asynch RSGs. My present RSG for my
large coil system is driven by a 1/3 HP 3450 RPM perm. slpit cap.
motor from a bench grinder. I use 6 rotory electrodes so if my math
is right, that comes out to 345 pps, which of course is not a common
multiple of the 60 hz. line frequency, so not synchronous. I have not-
iced though that the rotor takes on the "strobe" effect when the rotory
gap is firing (the RSG rotor appears to be stationary). I have noticed
this effect many times before in the past. My question is why does
RSG rotor appear stationary in the spark gap light if it is not in synch
with the line frequency?

I have also noticed that the RSG will not fire if the the stat. electrodes
are placed on one side of the motor, but if the stat electrodes are
placed on the opposite side of the motor, the gap fires reliably. To me,
these effects sounds like the syptoms of a synchronous gap system,
although I know it's not. I would be interested to hear anyone else's
view on this?

                                                Keep on Sparkin'
                                                David
                                                Memphis, TN, USA