Re: PVC Wire for a secondary?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "David Mills" <dave-at-g7uvw.freeserve.co.uk>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Are there any major disadvantages in using PVC covered wire for a
> secondary.
>
> The only problem I can forsee is that the capaciance of the secondary
> will be altered due to the thicker wire insulation spacing the turns out
> more.
>
> Any ideas / anyone done this?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Dave,

I have used PVC covered machine tool wire MTW/THHN/TFFN with outer vinyl
jacket for several large coils including my Twin Coil and it works fine. It
is available in spools up to 2500 feet at almost any large commercial
electrical contractor supply place. The price varies with the current price
of copper, but is always very reasonable IMHO.

My Twin Coil can be seen at:

http://users.deltanet-dot-com/users/stcole/public_html/hv/wingate.html

and

ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/wingate/wingate2.jpg

Safe coiling,

Ed Wingate RATCB