[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ignition coils

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Max Erhard" <max.erhard-at-softhome-dot-net>
>
> I recently tried running an ignition coil like that, with a rebuilt
> dimmer switch and an oil filled cap from a microwave (1.1uF). The big
> problem seems to be insulation, the inch long snappy sparks break though
> the insulation on the top almost instantly.
>
> Max Erhard.

	Immerse it in a plastic refrigerator container full or oil -
transformer oil, mineral oil, motor oil, etc. I have a couple of GM
high-energy coils (five bucks each at the used parts store, probably
free at the junk yard) mounted that way, and can get 3" sparks without
apparent breakdown.  Two coils in series (ground terminals together,
primaries with opposite drive polarity) will jump 5" sparks before
breakdown on the outside of the case.  I'm sure that, in time, the
insulation in the coils will break down at these levels, but at least
the breakdown in air is eliminated.

Ed